Friday, July 12, 2013

Mantra Swirl

I participated in another of Amy Warden's fun swirl challenges. This month's challenge is the mantra swirl. There were two techniques and I decided to do the modified mantra because I wanted to cut my soap the way I usually do. This technique took two tries to get it right.

Here's my first attempt.

I wasn't horribly disappointed with the first attempt but I wanted to achieve more movement and the soap started setting up faster than I expected.  To keep this post shorter, I will detail the technique with my 2nd attempt.

First off, I'm partial to whiter soaps. Amy's instructions was a 3-color swirl.so I decided to do two colors in the middle instead of one. I planned on using a fresh raspberry fragrance and thought a red and black would work nice.



So I divided my mold like so. I then mixed up the soap. I stopped blending and started separating the soap when I had the soap emulsified. Enough to have the lye, water and oils mixed but not enough to trace.


Then I separated out my soap and blended them to a light trace. One of the problems I had with the first batch was that I didn't measure out the soap so I would have equal parts in each section. So this time, I weighed out each color so I didn't have more of one than the other.

 This is a pic after the soap was poured but before the dividers were pulled:



Then I GENTLY removed the dividers. A few drips but not too bad.



Now we're going to begin the swirl. I wish I had someone to take pics while I was working but I only have two hands.  This is the implement I made to swirl. 


I used a square dowel because I thought it would move a little more soap. Now what I did was place this dowel down the side (where the white is) and pulled the dowel back and forth through the colors while also lifting it up. The goal is to make a sort of zig zag where the colors will zig and zag into the white.  Then I did figure 8's with a skewer, like this:






I was very pleased with the top but as usual, I'm dying to see what the inside looks like but I have to wait. After unmolding 24hours later, I decided to wait another 24 because the soap was very soft. So 24 hours later, I cut. Still a bit too soft BUT I wasn't going to wait any longer :).

Here is the final product. I was very happy with the surprise inside! Lots of movement and the two center colors played very well together.




19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Suzzanne. The black faded a little more than I expected but I can live with it :)

      Delete
  2. That is a very lovely swirl! Love the color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks beautiful! I don't know how I'm going to choose just 3 soaps to vote for! Your's is stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you used the light soap on both edges, really sets off the middle, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool!! I love this variation on the modified mantra! What shall we call it? The modified-modified mantra? LOL! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was thinking the same thing about the modified modified. What can I say...I like swoosh, LOL!

      Delete
  6. Love your soap it is a definite winner in my book. I would love to learn from you would you friend me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! You bet and friended! We can learn from each other as I'm no expert when it comes to these things :).

      Delete
  7. Love those colors and swirls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats, check the tally on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much to everyone who voted! I was super surprised and very pleased to see I placed within the top 10. Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete