Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Making of a Peacock Swirl Soap

Recently I entered an Artisan Soap Swirling Challenge hosted by Amy Warden of Great Cakes Soapworks. This was such a fun challenge that I look forward to entering more in the future.

The Peacock Swirl is a swirling technique that needs to be done in a slab mold. With a slab mold, the swirling is done on the top of the soap instead of imbedded throughout the soap. We took several pictures so you could follow along to see how it was done.

First, I'd like to say that prep work prior to mixing the soap is key in many of these more complex soap swirls. The more you can visualize the steps you'll take, the tools you'll need to accomplish those steps and having it all out and ready to go is a big part of being successful. Here you'll see we have all of our supplies organized and ready to go.





I needed to make a seasonal soap for one of our accounts so I thought I'd do something special for the guys for a change. I chose a clary sage essential oil and earth tone micas of orange, sage, yellow, and brown.

First step was of course to mix the soap.  I then filled each squeeze bottle and added one color to each of them. The remaining soap was poured into the mold.


Okay...now the fun (or the stress) begins!  Mixing up the colors took a bit of time but we used a recipe that doesn't thicken quickly so we still have plenty of time, so long as we move quickly that is.  First step is to squeeze one color in a zig zag motion all the way across the slab. Then repeat with each color, in order, over and over until you run out.  It should look something like this:


Then we'll take our home made soap comb and comb through the swirls from top to bottom. See how neat that looks? That's really nice enough to stop right there:


Here's what the comb looks like:




So now we need to finish the technique by taking a pick and running squiggly lines down the soap to form the peacock fan. Believe it or not, that was the most difficult part of the swirl.


This is the finished swirl. Admittedly this is a technique that needs some practice to get perfect but for my first try, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out!  I have not yet cut the soap into bars but I'll post a follow up when I do.

A great big thank you to Amy Warden for hosting this challenge, it was a lot of fun!





4 comments:

  1. Wow...I love the colours....and your swirl looks pretty good to me...lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work for your first try! Love this color combo!! I'm huge fan of blue & orange together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dianne, Andrea and Amy! You're all too kind :)

    ReplyDelete